How we pick our products
Krill oil is an ideal supplement for those who want to take care of the health of their heart and brain. It is a natural source of Omega-3, which can be taken in the form of oil or capsules. In addition to lowering cholesterol and triglycerides, krill oil is a potent anti-inflammatory.
Although not as popular as other Omega-3 supplements, the properties of krill oil are being talked about all over these days. Who should take krill oil? How is this product different from other fish oils? How is it taken? All these questions will be answered for you within this guide.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Krill Oils on the Canadian Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Krill Oil
- 3.1 What exactly is krill oil?
- 3.2 What nutrients does krill oil provide?
- 3.3 What are the benefits of krill oil?
- 3.4 Why is krill oil is a better protector of brain health than other sources of Omega-3?
- 3.5 Why is krill oil so effective in lowering cholesterol and triglycerides?
- 3.6 Who can benefit from taking krill oil?
- 3.7 What types of krill oil supplements exist and which one is right for me?
- 3.8 What differences exist between the Omega-3 in krill oil and the Omega-3 in chia and flax?
- 3.9 What are the advantages of krill oil over cod liver oil?
- 3.10 What functions does astaxanthin play in the body?
- 3.11 Can krill oil cause any adverse reactions?
- 3.12 What contraindications does krill oil have?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Krill oil is composed of Omega-3 (EPA and DHA), choline, phospholipids, Vitamin E and astaxanthin (provitamin A).
- It is obtained from a crustacean called Antarctic krill, whose scientific name is euphausia superba.
- Krill oil is beneficial to the heart, skin, eyes and joints, but it is a superb supplement for improving and preserving brain health.
- This super-food is taken in the form of capsules and liquid drops, although the latter is less commonly used.
Our Selection: The Best Krill Oils on the Canadian Market
Although all krill oil capsules look the same, they are not necessarily so. The concentration of Omega-3, the taste of the capsules, and the price can vary quite a bit. The processing method to extract the krill oil is a strong predictor of final quality. If you want to be sure you make a sensible purchase, we recommend these krill oil products:
- SR Antarctic Krill Oil (Double Strength) 60 Softgels
- Viva Naturals Krill Oil – 100% Pure Antarctic Krill Oil
- Jarrow Formulas Krill Oil
- Webber Naturals Royalred Extra Strength Omega-3 Krill Oil Plus
- Now Foods Neptune Krill Supplements
SR Antarctic Krill Oil (Double Strength) 60 Softgels
This best-selling product by Sports Reasearch provides more krill for your dollar. It includes 1000 mg of krill oil per softgel. It also contains more naturally-occurring EPA, DHA, phospholipids and astaxanthin than many other brands.
This supplement is made with Superba2 krill oil, a new advanced formula clinically proven to increase omega-3 fatty acid levels in the body.
Viva Naturals Krill Oil – 100% Pure Antarctic Krill Oil
Viva Naturals Krill Oil: krill are small crustaceans from the Antarctic, like shrimp. Their nutrient-rich oil delivers a highly absorbable form of the healthy omega-3’s DHA and EPA. DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) are known as essential fatty acids, because our body needs them for healthy brain and cellular development, among other things, but can’t produce them on its own.
While we can get some through the foods we eat, like salmon, walnuts, and chia, we often don’t get enough through diet alone. If you’re looking for a simple and effective way to get more omega-3’s into your diet, you should consider Viva Naturals Krill Oil.
Jarrow Formulas Krill Oil
Fish oil products have long been used as omega-3 supplements. However, concerns about mercury contamination in fish have led many people to look for alternative ways to avoid omega-3 deficiencies and address health concerns. This krill oil comes from Antarctic krill, tiny organisms that do not accumulate mercury in their bodies like many fish can.
To make krill omega-3 oil as beneficial as possible for the body, Jarrow Formulas extract it from the abundant Antarctic krill. This product contains unique phospholipids rich in omega-3 PUFAs (EPA and DHA). Complex with Astaxanthin and Non GMO.
Webber Naturals Royalred Extra Strength Omega-3 Krill Oil Plus
RoyalRed Krill Oil is a rich source of easily absorbed omega-3 to support cognitive and cardiovascular health. High in phospholipid-bound EPA and DHA, krill oil’s healthy fats are rapidly absorbed and incorporated into cell membranes. Krill oil also contains the antioxidant astaxanthin and offers support for healthy blood lipid status.
This 100% pure Antarctic krill oil contains phospholipid-bound omega-3s for more efficient absorption and bioavailability of EPA and DHA. Krill oil has been shown to have the same health benefits as fish oil, but at a lower dose. Harvested in a sustainable manner under the guidelines of the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR). With no fishy odour or aftertaste, these supplements come in smaller pill size for easier swallowing.
Now Foods Neptune Krill Supplements
This product by trusted brand Now is 100% Pure NKO, Phospholipid-Bound Omega-3 Krill oil. It supports joint health and is GMP quality assured. It is NPA A-rated. GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been inspected, including the laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
Packaged in the USA by a family-owned and operated company since 1968, you can trust the label and the product inside. It is tested to be free of potentially harmful levels of contaminants such as PCBs, dioxins, mercury and other heavy metals.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Krill Oil
In addition to being an excellent source of Omega-3, this super-food is rich in other nutrients that play a valuable role in the health of children and adults. If you are interested in knowing more about krill oil, be sure to read this section, in which we will delve into its characteristics, uses and differences with other oils.
What exactly is krill oil?
What nutrients does krill oil provide?
Expert comment: “It is the synergy of these nutritional components that makes this oil beneficial for health problems as disparate as cramps and irritability associated with premenstrual syndrome, high cholesterol levels or arthritic joint pain.” Dr. Tina Sampalis, Professor of the Department of Experimental Surgery at the University of Montreal.
What are the benefits of krill oil?
- Protects the health of the heart and blood vessels. Omega-3 is lipid-lowering (lowers cholesterol and blood triglycerides), anti-inflammatory and antithrombotic (prevents the formation of clots). It substantially reduces the risk of heart attack and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Prevents atherosclerosis, that is, the accumulation of fats, cholesterol and other substances (plaques) inside the arteries. This reduces the risk of a heart attack or stroke, since plaque can clog the blood vessels and even cause them to rupture.
- Decreases total cholesterol, “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and blood triglycerides. Thus, it reduces the risk of developing a non-alcoholic fatty liver.
- It acts as a neuro-protector, since the Omega-3 fatty acids of krill oil, EPA and DHA, are essential for brain development in infants and children. They also protect against neuro-degenerative conditions, for example, Alzheimer’s disease. In addition, EPA and DHA improve memory, concentration and learning.
- Increase the feeling of well-being, improves mood and is associated with a lower incidence of depression.
- It can be useful for treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Relieves the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. For example, cramps, irritability and breast tenderness.
- Lowers Inflammation. It is an excellent complementary treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis).
- Delays Aging. Krill oil’s astaxanthin and Vitamin E are potent antioxidants that counteract oxidative damage. Without adequate doses of antioxidants there is a greater risk of early aging, atherosclerosis, kidney, eye and neurodegenerative diseases, and cancer, among many others.
- Keeps skin healthy. Astaxanthin protects the skin from solar radiation, prevents sunspots and delays the photoaging of the dermis.
- It helps to regulate blood pressure.
- It promotes an adequate development of vision in children and prevents numerous eye diseases in both children and adults. Reduces the risk of age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, dry eye syndrome and corneal ulcers. These benefits are due to the Omega-3 called DHA (docosahexanoic acid) and astaxanthin.
Why is krill oil is a better protector of brain health than other sources of Omega-3?
Why is krill oil so effective in lowering cholesterol and triglycerides?
Who can benefit from taking krill oil?
- Existing heart disease or family history of heart problems.
- History of age-related macular degeneration.
- Dry eye syndrome
- High cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Atherosclerosis (atheromas plaques inside the arteries).
- Difficulties in concentration or decreased memory.
- People who want to keep their skin healthy, smooth and avoid age spots.
- Arthritis, osteoarthritis and sports injuries that occur with inflammation.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease).
- Arterial hypertension.
- Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or certain learning difficulties.
What types of krill oil supplements exist and which one is right for me?
- Krill oil capsules: Gelatin capsules that contain pure krill oil inside, whose concentration varies from 500 to 1000 milligrams. Its flavour is mild and manufacturers have managed to avoid it having a fishy taste. Some capsules have an added artificial flavoring (vanilla, strawberry). It is recommended to take 1 to 2 units a day.
- Liquid krill oil: The natural flavour of pure krill oil is very intense and unpleasant, in addition to producing fishy and belching taste. Therefore, most liquid krill oils have an orange, strawberry or lemon flavour. The recommended daily dose is 1 teaspoon.
|Its Omega-3 is associated with phospholipids and this greatly improves its assimilation.||It is not suitable for vegans.|
| It is a source of EPA and DHA, fatty acids
Omega-3 essential for brain and visual health.
|It cannot be consumed by people allergic to crustaceans.|
|It has a high effectiveness. In a short time it produces very significant effects .||Its price is higher than that of other Omega-3 supplements, for example, chia or cod liver oil.|
| It is an excellent supplement to lower cholesterol and triglycerides, reduce
inflammation, beautify the skin, improve mood, relieve premenstrual syndrome and stimulate cognitive function.
|They are easy to drink. Simply consume 1 to 3 capsules daily or take 1 teaspoon of liquid krill oil.|
|It is a safe product for health. Its adverse effects are virtually nil.|
|They can be consumed by children, adults and the elderly.|
What differences exist between the Omega-3 in krill oil and the Omega-3 in chia and flax?
What are the advantages of krill oil over cod liver oil?
On the other hand, the astaxanthin of krill oil makes it the ideal supplement for eye and skin care. Also, unlike fish oil, krill oil is used to combat skin photo-aging (due to sun damage), characterised by premature appearance of spots, wrinkles and expression lines.
|Characteristic||Krill oil||Fish oil||Chia oil|
|Type of majority Omega-3||EPA and DHA.||EPA and DHA.||Alpha-linolenic.|
|Assimilation||Rapid and Efficient.||Moderate.||Moderate.|
|Flavor||Almost neutral, It leaves no fishy aftertaste and has very good tolerance.||It can generate a fishy aftertaste.||Neutral, it has excellent tolerance.|
|Is it appropriate for vegans||No.||No.||Yes.|
|Does it provide astaxanthin?||Yes.||No.||No.|
|Does it Contain Vitamin E?||Yes.||Yes.||Yes.|
|Does it provide Vitamin A?||Yes.||Yes. especially cod liver oil.||No.|
What functions does astaxanthin play in the body?
Expert comment: “Astaxanthin is a powerful natural antioxidant that fights oxidative stress and has great benefits to the skin, eyesight and the cardiovascular system. It is 10 times more potent than Vitamin C; 14 times more potent than Vitamin E; and 54 times more potent than any other beta carotene.” Virtues Ruíz, surgeon and expert in aesthetic medicine.
Can krill oil cause any adverse reactions?
What contraindications does krill oil have?
- Seafood allergies.
- Coagulation disorders because it could cause bleeding.
- Presence of chronic diseases (heart, kidney, liver, endocrine).These patients should consult their physicians before starting to take krill oil.
- Pregnant or nursing women and children under 5 years of age.There is not enough evidence that krill oil is safe during these biological stages.
- Consumption of Orlistat.This drug inhibits the absorption of fats and, as a consequence, krill oil would be eliminated without being absorbed.
Sometimes drops of krill oil are used for the topical treatment of dry eye syndrome, but this is an ophthalmic product for external use. As a last warning, vegans should not consume krill oil supplements because they are animal products.
There are factors that you should evaluate to choose the best krill oil and that go beyond buying the capsules with a less fishy flavour. Some certifications are very important because they relate to the final quality of the supplement or to the company’s environmental commitment. The basic criteria to buy an excellent krill oil are:
- Flavour and Aroma
- Method of Oil Extraction
- Certifications of Sustainable Development
- Added Vitamin D
Flavour and Aroma
Although pure krill oil may have an extremely unpleasant taste, the capsules are tasteless and, in certain commercial brands, only a mild fishy aroma can be perceived. Some manufacturers add flavourings to capsule covers to improve their tolerance on the part of consumers.
The liquid krill oil, in its pure state, is always artificially flavoured because its natural flavour would hinder its consumption. In addition, the intense taste can cause belching, reflux and nausea. Capsules and liquid oil come in several flavours: lemon, orange, strawberry and vanilla.
Method of Oil Extraction
The oils extracted by cold pressure are those of better quality. NKO (Neptune Krill Oil) oil is a guarantee of excellence, since by cold extraction they prevent the krill’s nutrients from being destroyed. This oil is the only one approved by the FDA (United States Food and Drug Administration).
Certifications of Sustainable Development
Although Antarctic krill is not a species at risk of extinction, it is important to look for certain certifications on the oil label that reflect the manufacturers’ environmental commitment. If the product is certified by the Marine Stewardship Council MSC) it means that it has been obtained through sustainable fishing.
Added Vitamin D
Many krill oil supplements are enriched with Vitamin D. This nutrient is essential for bone development and proper bone mineralisation. If krill oil is to be consumed by children or by women of menopausal or postmenopausal age, it is advisable to buy a product that contains Vitamin D.
Krill oil is a wonderful super-food to take care of the entire body because it not only represents one of the best natural sources of Omega-3, but also provides some other very valuable nutrients. It is beneficial for the heart, brain, liver, skin, eyesight, joints and even for the pains associated with premenstrual syndrome.
Another benefit of krill oil is that it has very few contraindications and its adverse effects are almost non-existent. In addition, it is a natural supplement, effective and easy to take. However, not all products are the same and buying krill oil of the highest quality is essential to achieve the desired effects.
If our guide has been useful, help us reach more people by sharing it on social media or by leaving us a comment.
(Source of Featured Image: Wongcheronkit: 26503171/ 123rf.com)