Now, cod liver oil products have flavours and there are multiple methods of ingestion, all with the same beneficial properties. Cod liver oil is easily digested and contains minerals, fatty acids, and vitamins A, E and D. Its high vitamin D content makes it an excellent resource to prevent rickets. Read on to learn everything you need to know about this superfood and its many other nutritional benefits.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Ranking: The best cod liver oil supplements on the market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about cod liver oil
- 3.1 What is cod liver oil exactly?
- 3.2 Why is cod liver oil important to our body?
- 3.3 What adverse effects can cod liver oil cause?
- 3.4 Who is cod liver oil especially recommended for?
- 3.5 What is the difference between cod liver oil and Omega-3 supplements?
- 3.6 What are the differences between fish oil and cod liver oil supplements?
- 4 What is the recommended dose of cod liver oil?
- 5 Purchase Criteria
- 6 Summary
- Cod liver oil is a source of essential vitamins. It includes significant amounts of vitamins A and D, as well as omega-3, iodine and phosphorus.
- It is recommended for general strengthening, prevention of childhood diseases, and malnutrition. Throughout this article you will learn about its plethora of benefits.
- An overdose due to the high content of vitamins A and D should be avoided. In excess, these vitamins can be harmful to our health.
Ranking: The best cod liver oil supplements on the market
Here are the best cod liver oil supplements available to you. In this section you will find out which one is right for you or your loved ones. In addition, you can also opt for a completely natural dietary supplement and choose the method of ingestion that is right for you.
No. 1: Blue Ice™, Fermented CLO Concentrated Butter (capsules)
No. 2: Nature’s Bounty, CLO with vitamins A&D (soft-gels)
This product contains 100 softgels enriched with vitamin A and vitamin D. Each softgel contains: Cod liver oil 1,000 mg, vitamin A 805 micrograms, vitamin D5 micrograms, and Gadus morhua (Atlantic cod). The capsule cover contains gelatine (bovine) and vegetable glycerin (palm seed oil and coconut oil).
Nonetheless, this product is free of gluten, wheat, dairy products, preservatives, sugar, artificial colours, and flavours. It is advisable to take this product if you want to strengthen the immune system but do not exceed to recommended dose of 1 capsule per day.
No. 3: Blue Ice™, FCLO unflavoured (liquid)
The Blue Ice™ Cod Liver Oil has a concentrated presence of vitamins that are scarce in modern diets and vital for a healthy immune system. This butter-oil is centrifuged (not heated) to preserve maximal amount of nutrients. It is lacto-fermented and the fish are wild caught in the Arctic region.
The recommended dose of this product varies according to the age and health of the person taking it. Consumers have reported liquid fermented cod liver oil to be a great alternative to capsules when supplementing children. This product is also available in different flavours that have been reported to be “great tasting” by buyers.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about cod liver oil
Before buying a cod liver oil supplement you should ask yourself why you need it or what properties it contains that makes it necessary for your body. In this section we address the most frequently asked questions of users.
What is cod liver oil exactly?
Cod liver oil is a source of essential vitamins, including vitamins A and D, as well as omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA).
In general, we do not get enough of these nutrients, which is bad because their role is crucial for optimal cardiovascular, hormonal, immune, reproductive and neurological health.
Cod liver was first used in medicine in 1789 for the treatment of rheumatism and in 1824 to cure rickets. By the early 20th century, it was routinely given to children to prevent rickets and other conditions caused by vitamin D deficiencies.
Why is cod liver oil important to our body?
The cross action of vitamins A and D ensures the growth and maintenance of bone structure. A good concentration of essential fatty acids combined with a high level of vitamin D improves cognitive performance in children and the elderly. The virtues of this superfood can be seen in the following list:
- Vitamin D and omega-3 in cod liver oil contribute to hair growth: daily use will make your hair stronger and give it shine and flexibility.
- Cod liver oil is beneficial to skin health: it helps slow down skin aging, protects against acne and alleviates sun damage.
- It helps maintain bones: in this context, promotes mobility and prevents age-related joint stiffness.
- You can use it to lower blood pressure: it helps in lowering blood viscosity and maintaining healthy cholesterol levels.
The following table is a summary of the applications of cod liver oil:
|High blood pressure||Lowers blood pressure.|
|Autoimmune diseases||Strengthens the immune system.|
|High cholesterol||Lowers levels of cholesterol.|
|Dry hair and skin||Promotes vitality of skin and hair.|
|Difficulty increasing muscle mass||Strengthens muscles for increased exertion.|
What adverse effects can cod liver oil cause?
Although cod liver oil has many benefits, it also has contraindications for some people. In the list below you can see a list of its possible side effects:
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite or diarrhea in some individuals.
- Avoid taking medicines or foods that thin the blood at the same time. One of the properties of this oil is that it thins the blood.
- Do not combine the oil with other medicines that also contain vitamins A and D. This recommendation helps you avoid exceeding the recommended dose of these vitamins.
- If in doubt, consult your family doctor.
Who is cod liver oil especially recommended for?
Cod liver oil offers many benefits, but is especially advisable to supplement the treat certain conditions. This also means it is excellent for preventing some diseases. People prone to some related ailments should consume cod liver oil, as shown below:
- People subject to mental stress
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding
- People with blood clotting problems
- People with eye problems, such as cataracts or night blindness
- People who suffer from chronic inflammation
- Individuals with low defenses And a compromised immune system
What is the difference between cod liver oil and Omega-3 supplements?
Cod liver oil is a source of essential omega-3 fatty acids, but not necessarily the best source. Although other types of fish oil are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, the main difference is that cod liver oil also provides significant amounts of vitamins A and D.
What are the differences between fish oil and cod liver oil supplements?
Fish oil is found in fatty fish, such as tuna, halibut, and salmon. Cod liver oil and fish oil are used as dietary supplements, usually because they contain omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins.
The main difference between the two is the vitamin A in cod liver oil.
Fish oil generally contains very little vitamin A because it is not found in fish meat. However, cod liver oil contains large amounts of vitamin A, especially when taken in liquid form.
Both fish oil and cod liver oil supplements should be taken in moderation. High doses can increase the risk of bleeding and obstruct proper control of blood sugar levels in diabetics.
What is the recommended dose of cod liver oil?
The dosage of cod liver oil depends on the age of the consumer. Please pay attention to the product description. As a general rule, you can go by the following measurements:
|Population Group||Recommended dose(ml)|
|Under 12 years||2ml per day|
|Between 12 and 18 years old||5ml a day|
|Women over 18 years old||5-10ml a day|
|Men over 18 years old||10-15ml per day|
The capsules are an aid to dosage. Approximately 500 mg of cod liver oil can be found in one capsule. Therefore, the recommended intake is as follows:
|Population Group||Recommended Dosage|
|Kids||One capsule twice per day.|
|Adults||Two capsules twice per day.|
What are the symptoms of a CLO overdose?
The overdose is characterized by discomfort such as dizziness, headache, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, hair loss, tiredness, and extreme thirst. It can be produced by excess vitamin A or D. Do not exceed the recommended dose and if you have any problems, consult your family doctor.
It is important that you take into account a number of criteria when purchasing a cod liver oil supplement. That way you will be able to easily decide which product is best for you when making your purchase.
When buying a COL supplement it’s important to take into account:
- Value for your money
Not all products that are identified as cod liver oil have this substance at 100%. Analyze the label and look closely at the composition of the product.
You can acquire oil with pleasant and highly digestible aromas. Additionally, you have the choice of insipid capsules or different flavours which will largely depend on your taste. Keep in mind the capsules are often covered with gelatine.
View this post on Instagram
I've been taking cod liver oil since 2004 and it was the best decision I made. Take just 1 tablespoon a day (lemon flavor) and watch your health soar. 20 reasons why on the blog and also the best brands and how to consume it. Link in bio #codliveroil #coconutoil #coconutoilbenefits #fishoil #health #healthyfood #healthyeating #healthychoices #healthy #healthylifestyle #healthymom #healthyfats #healthyfat #healthyyou #healthykids #healthandwellness #healthybaby #healthydiet #healthymind #healthylife #healthyliving #healthybody #healthyskin #nutrition #parenting #parents #parent #brighterchildren #children #kids
Choose high quality products. Many supplements contain less than 60 percent cod liver oil. The rest is filled with inferior additives such as low-quality fish or vegetable oils, preservatives, flavor additives, or artificial vitamins.
Quality is usually proportional to price. A high-quality cod liver product costs at least .50c per 5 ml (value guide).
After years of disappearing from the shelves of pharmacies and herbalists, cod liver oil is again present in nutritional supplements, especially during the winter months.
As you have learned throughout this article, cod liver oil has multiple benefits which are not just limited to its contribution of vitamins and minerals. It is also an excellent resource to raise the body’s defenses naturally, among many more benefits.
If you liked our guide on cod liver oil share the article on social networks or leave us a comment.
(Source of featured image: Legoshyn: 68257232/123rf.com)